Cognitive testing and evaluations play a massive role in identifying the brain’s functions, processes, and changes. Since the brain controls all your behavioral and emotional responses, it can help identify issues with your mental health through a cognitive test and evaluation. If you are experiencing a mental or emotional breakdown, a cognitive testing Atlanta specialist can help determine your cognitive issues and provide proper treatment. Let us learn more about cognitive testing and its role in enhancing brain functions or mental health.
What is cognitive testing?
A cognitive test, also known as a cognitive screening or assessment test, is a test that a mental specialist carries out to determine any issues with your brain functions. The test involves performing and completing simple tests and tasks and answering simple comprehendible questions. However, it does not directly prove or show the exact cause of your cognitive impairment disorder but helps identify the following steps and tests.
What issues does a cognitive test address?
A cognitive test helps to detect issues relating to your mental health through drawings, writing, answering questions, and solving puzzles. After completing the tests, your provider uses a scientific approach to compare your standardized results to an extensive database to measure and address the following factors.
- The brain’s processing speed
- Concentration and attention span
- Verbal ability
- Memory, mood, and personality
- Reading apprehension
After analyzing the above-listed factors, your provider may determine the cause of your cognitive impairment or refer you to another specialist to help you understand your condition.
Commonly used types of cognitive tests
Mental health practitioners might use several types of cognitive tests to enhance better results and measure your mental functions, memory capability, etc. The most commonly used cognitive tests include:
- Mini-Mental State Exam (MMSE): An MMSE test is a 7–10-minute test that involves identifying simple objects, the current date/year, and counting numbers.
- Montreal Cognitive Assessment (MoCA) test: A MoCA test takes 10 to 15 minutes whereby a patient identifies pictures of animals, memorizes short words, and draws various objects and shapes. This test gauges a patient’s intellectual and memory capability.
- Mini-Cog. This test takes only 3 to 5 minutes to complete and involves drawing a round-the-clock and naming and memorizing a list of objects.
Benefits of cognitive testing
The brain function is crucial in your intellectual capabilities, communication and mood behaviors, and other significant parts. Identifying the essential factors affecting your mental health can improve your quality of life. Several other benefits offered by cognitive testing include:
- It helps in assessing and diagnosing a potential mental issue
- Helps in making early mental health interventions and providing a treatment plan
- Establishes a baseline
- Determines a patient’s cognitive strengths and weaknesses
Cognitive testing can take a few hours, days, or weeks depending on the severity of your cognitive issues. If diagnosed with any mental disorder or personality disorder, your care provider monitors your progress and adjusts your treatment plan if necessary.
If you or a loved one is displaying symptoms of a cognitive problem, visit the Psychiatric Consultants of Atlanta, a private mental health clinic that provides various cognitive treatments. Through a team of professional and experienced mental health specialists, you will receive the best care services and support for your condition. Call or schedule an appointment online or through their Atlanta, Decatur, and Georgia offices.